Adding a teen driver to an auto policy can be a challenging time for parents. Not only are parents anxious about their teen's driving safety - they frequently suffer from "sticker shock" when faced with the associated premium increase.
The following information will give you a better understanding of the risks teen drivers pose so that you can better understand the "sticker shock" and help guide and prepare your teen through this important life event.
10 Teen Driving Stats that might surprise you:
1. On Average 6 teens die, and 650+ are injured every day in the U.S. because of motor vehicle crashes.
2. The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16 to 19 year olds than among any other age group.
3. Among these 16 to 19 year olds, their fatal crash rate per mile driven is nearly three times the rate for drivers are 20 and over.
4. Six out of 10 teen accidents are caused by driver distraction.
5. The fatal crash risk increases for each teenage passenger in a teen driver's car.
6. One in 3 teens take their eyes off the road when phone notifications come in while driving.
7. Eighty eight percent of teens who self-identify as "safe drivers" admit to multi-tasking while driving.
8. Crash risk is particularly high during the first months a teen is licensed.
9. Teens are more likely than older drivers to speed and follow other vehicles at an unsafe distance.
10. Compared with other age groups, teens have among the lowest rates of seat belt use.
These statistics are alarming, but the more you know the better prepared you can be. Before your teen hits the road, set clear rules and expectations of their behavior while behind the wheel. You can help your teen develop safe habits by regularly observing their driving and providing constructive feedback.
From our offices in Weatherford, Texas, we serve clients anywhere in the State of Texas, though the following areas are geographically closest to us: the counties of Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Wise, Johnson, Parker and Hood and the cities of Arlington, Bedford, Brock, Burleson, Cleburne, Colleyville, Coppell, Dallas, Decatur, Euless, Fort Worth, Frisco, Granbury, Grapevine, Hurst, Keller, Mansfield, Millsap, Mineral Wells, North Richland Hills, Southlake, Watauga, Weatherford, and White Settlement.